Thursday, July 29, 2010

The road to the 5k......

It is Day 5 of training for the 5k. I looked up the date of the annual "Race for the Cure" 5K that takes place in Cleveland every fall and this year it will be on September 11th. I am starting to panic....I was counting on a date in October.

Today I ran 1.6 miles without stopping. I am halfway there. Of course I was on the treadmill. All of my other runs have been outside. In addition to running I have also started some basic weight lifting. Today's run was by far the easiest. I wasn't winded but my body definitely hurts. I am not used to this. I know I haven't run at all since High School. Sad.

I keep waiting for the "runner's high" everyone talks about. So far I have nothin'. In fact I hate every second. That is my relationship with exercise. I hate it. I know it is good for me and I am glad when I do it (afterwords), but during it....I am counting down the seconds until I can be done. To me exercise is just another chore on my to do list....like cleaning the bathroom or doing the laundry. Except experts say you should do it every day. That is the part that sucks. When you clean the bathroom once you are in good for a while (I use the term "a while" because I don't really want the world to know how long my bathroom goes between cleanings...). But with exercise you could run 5 miles in one day and be expected to do the same thing if not MORE the next. Ugh.

Oh well....I do feel better knowing I am doing something positive for myself. And I have already lost a few pounds.
Today as I was running on the treadmill I couldn't help watching the calorie counter. As I reached the end of my run it said I had burned 185 calories. That's it??? 185 lousy calories. Jesus Christ. That is the amount in one of those small granola bars or one yogurt. That blows. That is probably the equivalent of one oreo or one god damn spoonful of ice cream. I see how people can get discouraged. I can also hear all those fitness freaks telling me to substitute non-fat sorbet for my favorite blizzard at the DQ or some weird turkey burger for my favorite meal at 5 Guys. No thanks. It's just not the same. Oh well....I will keep chugging along.

On a side note as I was running Ian came downstairs to inform me that was Dinosaur Train was over. (Thanks Buddy - I needed to know that). When he saw me on the treadmill he asked, "What you doin' Mommy?" I told him I was exercising. He told me to stop so I could play a game with him and that I was "all wet" and needed to go dry off. He's right...on both fronts. Time to go play another rousing game of Candy Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment